On the Pretoria-Pienaarspoort route, Pereira said Prasa was still trying to locate more diesel locomotives and preferred spare parts to do much-needed maintenance, after overhead cables on this route were allegedly sabotaged following last week’s announcement that services would resume.
Tony Games, acting Prasa Gauteng spokesperson, acknowledged that there has been vandalism of overhead power cables, resulting in the line not having electricity.
He said Prasa will be utilising diesel locomotives on Wednesday to haul the coaches as work was still being done to repair the overhead electrical lines.
“With the high rate of cable theft, we do not have overhead power supply. Our infrastructure team is racing against the clock to replace the damaged infrastructure,” said Games.